Sunday, January 4, 2009

Terrain Makes The Game

Nobody likes playing games on open tables aka Planet Cue Ball, well unless you're fielding an Imperial Armoured Company. Though it amazes me how many people have either very little or no terrain of their own. Then they complain about not enjoy gaming so much.

Terrain is a vital part of your game and adds depth especially if it's dedicated to your army. eg themed around your army. You basically have two options either buying manufactured kits that are really nice or the cheaper option making your own.

When I started out I made my own terrain and gradually replaced bits of it with manuafactured kits over time. This allowed me to build up terrain over several years. I have still kept some of my old kitbashed, homebuilt pieces.

You don't need to be a master modeller for this and after raiding your bits box you'd be amazed what you can come up with. Packaging makes interesting buildings. My favorites are emporium stores and electronic componant stores. Model railway stores have a wide range of stuff also for a bit of kit bashing. Check out any household junk too. Old deodrant bottles with domed heads are great, garden hose connectins can make great gun turrets. It's the old cliche but you're only limited by your imagination.

A guy I recently played actually enjoyed playing on a table that had decent terrain. So get stuck in and give it a go.

No comments: